Camogie‎ > ‎Camogie Match Reports‎ > ‎

Tara 3-07, Fullen Gaels 1-04

posted 3 Jul 2012, 07:10 by Fullen Gaels   [ updated 3 Jul 2012, 07:10 ]

Fullen Gaels take on Tara Camogs

Tara 3-07, Fullen Gaels 1-04

It was a tale of two halves as Fullen Gaels of Manchester took on Tara Camogie of London last Saturday at Parc na hÉireann, Birmingham in their first match of the championship.

Both clubs knew it would be a hotly contested match as they were largely level pegging during their last meeting in the league only for Tara's to come out on top only a point to the good.

Fullen Gaels stormed the field in the first half matching the gale force winds swirling the pitch. Playing like they had a point to prove, Sinead Boyle and Sarah Wright in midfield were winning all the puck outs and breaking ball. Using their right wing, the sliotar was kept largely in the Tara half putting Tara's backs of Sheila Fernandes, Ann Gleeson, Helen Murphy and Susi Gill under immense pressure.

Ciara Healy was the Fullen Gaels danger woman and quickly had a tally of three points to her name. With two disputed penalty calls given in her favour she added a goal to the Fullen Gaels score with Tara’s goal keeper extraordinaire Gilligan saving one by punching a rasping shot out to her right wing.

Feeling hard done by, Tara’s were not going to go down without a fight but the wind was against them and their shots were being fired wide despite the efforts of Elaine Burke, Joanne Hamilton, and Janine Heagney. Fullen Gaels full back Sheila O'Sullivan was clearing up any low balls and scrambled a shot from Tina Enright away from goal. A chop on Tara’s Elaine Burke in midfield and a much needed free was given in Tara's favour. Approaching half time and with no score on the board, Burke was determined to take advantage of it. Dropping the ball into the square Tara’s Angela Kenneally rattled the back of the net and the first half finished 1-03 to 1-00 in Fullen Gaels favour.

The second half was like watching a different match altogether and Tara’s showed exactly why they are three-in-a-row in a row County Champions and last year’s All Ireland finalists.

Meabh Brennan, Orla Callanan and Angela Kenneally controlled midfield. With the wind at their backs and with Fullen Gaels puck outs dropping short in the wind the second half was largely played in the Fullen Gaels half. Picking up a breaking ball from the puck out Elaine Burke fired over a point quickly followed by a goal from Tara’s Dearbhail O’Neill.

The tide had turned and Tara’s were now pointing from all sides of the park with an Orla Callanan shot from the left wing and an Angela Kenneally shot from the right wing both hitting the target. The only respite for the Fullen Gaels half backs came when Anne Marie Ceitinn picked up the sliotar in the half back line and a succession of hand passes in to midfield of Rachel O'Farrell, Ciara Walsh and Sinead Boyle followed by a swift pass to Ciara Healy saw her shot sail over the bar.

It was to be the only real action in the Tara half. The Tara’s were running riot and Joanne Hamilton, Angela Kenneally and Elaine Burke were seeing all of the sliotar and the score line reflected this with Burke adding a further goal and three points to her tally and Kenneally firing the last point of the day over the bar to finish the match out 3-07 to 1-04 in Tara’s favour.


Fullen Gaels
SarahAnne Smyth, Rosemarie McCarthy, Sheila O'Sullivan, Anne Marie Keating, Fiona Courtney, Karen O'Leary, Rachel O'Farrell, Ciara Walsh, Sinead Boyle, Sarah Wright, Maria Clarke, Sinead Conway, Laura Masterson, Ciara Healy, Laura Deacon. Subs: Caroline McKay, Ingrid Kieran, Ursula Conway, Caroline McKeeney

Denise Gilligan, Susi Gill, Ann Gleeson, Sheila Fernandes, Catherine Higgins, Helen Murphy, Niamh Keating, Orla Callanan, Meabh Brennan, Angela Kenneally, Joanne Hamilton, Dearbhail O’Neill, Janine Heagney, Elaine Burke, Tina Enright. Subs: Eilish Malone, Janine O’Gorman.


Match report from Hogan Stand UK